Saturday, May 29, 2010

Thai green curry with Monkfish

The wind has turned southerly, and it's chilly outside. So Thai green curry will go down very well. Here's the thing. I cheat. I know that it's just not de rigeur to use a shop-bought paste, and I'm happy to doctor the flavour with fresh ingredients, but the base is a paste made by a person I've never met. Sometimes I'm just crazy, me.

So. I added kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, fish sauce, tamarind, and coconut cream, and eventually something I was looking for came out of the pan. I've added peas (not trad) and onions (who knows?) and Monkfish (who cares?). It's now just stewing on the range, as is the sticky coconut rice, and there's some butternut squash roasting in the oven.

home: home, and the range

The result took a lot less time to eat than it did to prepare, it's always like that unless you eat nothing but very sticky toffee.

But it was good:

(Laura held a torch whilst I took the photo, hence the praeternaturally lit squash.)

Food photography eludes me, despite being a keen photographer since I was a young child. It might have something to do with the fact that, once I've just spent an hour or 2 cooking, the last thing I want to do is to spend ages watching the food cool down whilst I try for the perfect appetising shot. Sorry.


6 comments:

  1. That looks most delicious :-) and coconut rice! That just makes me swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fabulous. Love Thai green curries. I really enjoy your blog and you have such great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all! LW really dislikes anything with chilli in it-except, for some reason- Thai curries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mel the coconut rice is absolutely gorgeous, one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete